Friday, December 17, 2010

The Genesis of a Handbag Company


Whew! Where to begin… It feels like a year but really the idea for Driftwood Designs (driftw.com) was born only couple months ago.  So much has happened in such a short time that remembering what I ate for breakfast is sometimes difficult. Anyway, this is the story of me (Rachel) and Blake (my bf) and our quest to make the best handbag line ever! We’ve never designed fashion before and have never started a company. This is it! Not sure if we’re crazy or not but at least its been a fun ride.
A little about me: I grew up in Kansas. The rustic romantic feel that Anthropologie and Free People pull off so well has always appealed to me. There’s just something I love about natural beauty and organic materials. Sunflowers, rolling hills, ranches…burry me in a pair of cowboy boots.



Anyway, so sometime in early October, as I dragged Blake through the “promise this is the last one” store, I turned to him and said, “Ughh…I wish I could just find a bag that’s unique and still functional”.  I guess I must have repeated myself a few times because Blake finally suggested that we check out how difficult it would be to get something started.


I started sketching (with a little help from Blake…he’s great at shading and staying in the lines) and Blake mastered the logistics and number crunching.    After a few short weeks I was wearing our very first Driftwood sample.  Although I wasn’t feeling 100% about the bags, I continually received compliments.  People loved everything from the quality of leather to the statement that was made when I walked in… like any girl, I was eating it up ;) And it didn’t stop there…
LLC…check, EIN…check, logo…check, business card…check. My life has become a series of to-do lists.


We’re everywhere on the internet, seeking legal advice and creating a board of directors. A few adventurous family members and friends are offering their financial support, advice, time, and connections to help us succeed. Even my bulldog, Lola, has been a tremendous help! Thanks y’all!



Check back for blog posts to keep updated on EVERYTHING.  Blake and I will include you on all aspects of creating a company along with designing, producing, and selling our handbags.


We want to be as connected with our customer community as possible. Leave comments. Suggestions and advice are always welcome. Let us know how we’re doing…good or bad…we have tough skin :)


1 comment:

  1. What beautiful bags, can't wait to get my hands on one... or even two!!

    ReplyDelete